nerdnyc.com

> Boardgame Night: April 25th    > True Nerd Trivia: May 8th  

WHAT'S NEW?   RULES   FACEBOOK   TWITTER   CALENDAR   PLAYER SEARCH   PRIVATE ROOM   STEAM   NEW TO NYC?   NERDNYC SHIRTS 

whine about your migraine

Recipes, carnivores, herbivores, vegetarians, vegans, freegans, single children, twins, quintuplets...

Postby queenmob on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 pm

I need fellow sufferers to whine about migraine!

Holy shit, since I -thankfully - only get migraine every 5-7 months I always forget how mean they are! For me, they always start with an so called Aura, usually an visual Aura - I lose the ability o focus onthings and everywhere I lok it seems like I look trough a fine cristal. Then, if it's really bad, my fingers go numb - one after each other - completely numb - that usually only happens when the migraine is activated by a very very tense neck. I looked it up, it can happen (the first time it happened I thought I had a stroke)!
Then the headache starts, boom and I'm useless for hours and maybe the next days.

Whine with me, fellow sufferers! I will give you symphathy!
queenmob
Hears Call of Cthulhu

Postby BaronHelix on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm

I will aid you by chasing away the migraine demons. I find smashing together pots and pans scares them pretty well.
"Dead? No excuse for laying off work." - God, Time Bandits.

Hey, cawshis, this is sig space you will never have! => XXXXXXX
BaronHelix
Pocket: Protected

Postby kajabor on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Fellow migraine nerd! Mine were worse when I was younger. On one occasion when I was 17 I was DMing a game of Runequest and I went almost completely blind! I had just little slivers of vision left and had to go lay down for a while. The nausea, too, was pretty unbearable.

I get them very rarely now, and the good news is they usually don't hurt. That is, I get them without the pain and nausea, for the most part, but I still get the auras (I'm told these are still technically "migraines"). Actually, as soon as I get a hint of aura, I take some Tylenol, and I think that's what disrupts the pain/nausea. My auras are weird; I really can't see through them. They look like ziggy lines nesting inside of ziggy crevices. They frequently start as tiny slivers and then get bigger and bigger.

I was teaching a class once and the auras came on. We were doing a close reading of a text, and I had to hold the book at weird angles to get around the auras. But the auras kept growing and crowding out more of my vision. Finally, I couldn't read at all, so I had to have students read aloud the sections we were discussing. It was weird to go blind in front of a class! I didn't tell them I was blind, and the auras faded enough by the end of the class that I was able to get to my office.

In general, my migraines don't last more than a couple hours these days.
When life gives you lemons, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's better to light a candle than to have a bird in the hand.

Twit me
kajabor
Time Slayer

Postby queenmob on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

BaronHelix wrote:I will aid you by chasing away the migraine demons. I find smashing together pots and pans scares them pretty well.

Don't do it man, the demons love that!!!!

@ kajabor!
Holy shit, almost completely blind?! I usually just have the problem on one eye. I can't believe that this symptms are nt dangerous at all, they certainly feel dangerous! In some way, I suppose an Aura helps you to take painkillers in time, so even though they suck they are an early warning system. But seriously, when iw as younger I didn't know what it was and nobody could tell me! This really didn't help my mild hypochandria at all.

Here, have my sympathy!!
queenmob
Hears Call of Cthulhu

Postby kajabor on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

You have my sympathy, QueenM! I know how horribly painful they can be, and luckily I haven't had the pain in a long time.

The blindness is weird, because even at its worst there are always still slivers of vision available to me, so if I twist and turn my head a bit I can find my way through the world.
When life gives you lemons, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's better to light a candle than to have a bird in the hand.

Twit me
kajabor
Time Slayer

Postby Bret G on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 am

Ugh.

I get one every 3-4 months and they knock me right on my ass. I usually have to call in sick to work. The last one happened on a weekend and I woke up, took a handful of aspirin, and went right back to sleep. I kept doing this until about 8PM when it finally went away. This was a lucky one because I can't usually sleep through them. One time I woke up in the middle of the night with one so bad I asked my girlfriend to drive me to the emergency room. It hurt more than any migraine I'd ever had in my life. I was pretty sure I was dying.
Bret G
Has House Rules for Physics

Postby boredoom on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:39 am

I don't have true migraines, but I get a curious "weekend headache" that can be pretty severe. Once the nausea was so bad I threw up. I think it's a reaction to a reprieve from job stress. My solution is to not relax that much on weekends...
What happens in Vegas... haunts us with the march of minutes into eternity. ~BaronHelix
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby VeggieBoy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am

I get them very rarely these days, seems like less than once a year, but the last few have felt like godawful hangovers. For years I would only get the shimmering vision, the blind spots, and the numb fingers (which was pretty disturbing in its own right, but at least I felt OK otherwise).
VeggieBoy
Venger Fan Club President

Postby jware30 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:59 am

boredoom wrote:I don't have true migraines, but I get a curious "weekend headache" that can be pretty severe. Once the nausea was so bad I threw up. I think it's a reaction to a reprieve from job stress. My solution is to not relax that much on weekends...

Have you ruled out caffeine withdrawal? Some people drink coffee/soda during the work week, and not on the weekends. Suffering headaches, as a result of the caffeine withdrawal.
jware30
Shoots Fireballs

Postby boredoom on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:17 am

jware30 wrote:
boredoom wrote:I don't have true migraines, but I get a curious "weekend headache" that can be pretty severe. Once the nausea was so bad I threw up. I think it's a reaction to a reprieve from job stress. My solution is to not relax that much on weekends...

Have you ruled out caffeine withdrawal? Some people drink coffee/soda during the work week, and not on the weekends. Suffering headaches, as a result of the caffeine withdrawal.

I think that was an early suspect. I've stopped drinking caffeine altogether, and it persists. Have also suspected something in the green tea I drink at work might be causing withdrawal, but extending my habit to the weekends hasn't changed anything. My job is addicting, clearly.
What happens in Vegas... haunts us with the march of minutes into eternity. ~BaronHelix
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Next

Return to Food, Health, Family, Fashion