nerdnyc.com

> Boardgame Night: April 25th    > True Nerd Trivia: May 8th  

WHAT'S NEW?   RULES   FACEBOOK   TWITTER   CALENDAR   PLAYER SEARCH   PRIVATE ROOM   STEAM   NEW TO NYC?   NERDNYC SHIRTS 

Daemons of Chaos army

Fighting huge battles with tiny men!

Postby boredoom on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am

Viper wrote:The chaos spawn plastic kit has a fly head. Not sure where you can find the bits separately, though.

To eBay! Yes, there's a guy in Australia selling them in bulk. They're probably pretty big for the torsos, but I should get a couple of them at least. Thanks!
What happens in Vegas... haunts us with the march of minutes into eternity. ~BaronHelix
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby Emukt on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Here are some alien heads that look like flies: http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=2608

"I love meeting old archeologist - there is just so much to learn. A tenured professor from Univerzita Karlova v Praze taught me how to make a portable vagina out of a yogurt container for discreet self-love while on a dig." - Frank
Emukt
Original Nerdcore

Postby boredoom on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Emukt wrote:Here are some alien heads that look like flies: http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=2608

Those are great, too! I could easily extend the mouth into a proboscis.
What happens in Vegas... haunts us with the march of minutes into eternity. ~BaronHelix
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby boredoom on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 am

I ordered some alien heads and three kinds of spawn heads. This was supposed to be a long shot, not a cake walk! Thanks again.
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby boredoom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 am

I'm done assembling and modding the Plaguebearers. As I mentioned above, I don't like the GW models much, and they're very expensive, because they're all metal. A 20-model unit would cost more than $100.

They're plastic Bloodletter bodies and limbs, married to Zombie heads from Mantic, a company that makes cheap plastic models for Warhammer.

Plaguebearers are supposed to have a single horn on their head, so I've added that, and then I slapped on vinyl spackle mixed with basing grit to simulate buboes and cancerous growths. I'm hoping painting them will reduce the impression that these are mutants who have just been hit by a catapult loaded with oatmeal and are angry at people who don't share their love of green Smurf hats.

Plaguebearers are supposed to be one-eyed. I haven't really bothered with that, but many of them happen to have spackle over one eye.

I had to whittle down the swords considerably from the comically long Bloodletter Hellblades. They're longer than the models are tall and make the Bloodletters almost impossible to rank up - nice job on the geometry there, GW.

The champion or Herald above has a fly head from a Spawn - thanks for the suggestion, Viper! The Nurgle Heralds are tough and have access to a very cool lore of magic, so they're a big reason I wanted to make Plaguebearers.

Here's another fly-headed dude with a standard that features another Spawn head. It's a parody of the Asclepian, the Greek symbol of medicine and healing, but I'm sure you figured that out already.

Above is another standard, with scratch-made Nurgle icon obscuring the Khorne one. I wanted two standards because a Herald of Nurgle is a pretty good carrier for the Battle Standard.

There's the musician. His horn is kind of congested, needs a good hard blowing or some Sudafed.

Group shot! Everybody say "sneeze!"
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby cawshis on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 am

Awesome work, boredoom!

Out of curiosity, why'd you use the spackle instead of green stuff? Ease of use?
"Destroying role-playing games should be a priority of every role-playing gamer"- James
cawshis
ANA President

Postby gronti on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am

Great work, boredoom!
"Finally the jokes here are getting funny." - smelly goblin
gronti
Bigfoot Hunter

Postby boredoom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

cawshis wrote:Awesome work, boredoom!

Out of curiosity, why'd you use the spackle instead of green stuff? Ease of use?

Yes, I'm still not very good at shaping the green stuff. A minor bonus to the (clean, unmixed) spackle is that it's great for filling in seams.
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby boredoom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 am

The plan is now to spray them white, then use mostly washes in green, brown, red, blue and black for a pallid, pukey look. Drybrushing will probably be pale green. I'll use some clear, tinted, glossy medium for snot and pus. I'm toying with the idea of making the snot glow in the dark, but it looks hard to get sufficient fluorescent pigment on there to really show up, and even then it would only be visible in a very dark room.
boredoom
Needs to Reboot

Postby astrochimp on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am

I'm scratch-building a Tzeench daemon army based on the art of Scott C http://inkmountain.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/cutehunterwooslady-copy1.jpg?w=450

The cute pink horrors of tzeench.
"HODOR!" -Hodor
astrochimp
State Stormtrooper

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures, Wargaming